About the Competition:
The Chevron Readers’ Cup competition is a reading competition for schools, held annually by the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature.
Teams of four students study books written by authors attending the 2019 Festival to compete in the Cup.
Congratulations to the Chevron Readers’ Cup 2019 winners! Click here to view the winners.
- Schools register their teams online via the Festival website from 9 September 2018
- Each school/branch may enter up to two teams in Primary (up to age 11) and up to two teams in Secondary (age 12 to 16)
- Each school appoints one designated coordinator for the competition
- Teams of students are chosen (containing no more than 4 students per team)
- The closing date to register the teams is 31 October 2018
- The four book titles for the first round were announced on 15 October 2018
- Schools can purchase the books from Magrudy’s Bookshops online and around the UAE
- The first round will take place in a central location in the second half of January 2019
- The location and timing of the first round will be announced to registered schools by email
- The first round questions will consist of a written quiz on the four books
- The 20 teams in each age group with the highest scores go head to head in the finals of Chevron Readers’ Cup competition
- The Festival will identify the finalists and notify their school coordinator by email
- The finalists will be notified of the two new books to be studied for the finals in addition to the four books from the first round
- The finals take place during the Festival on Monday 4 March 2019
- In the finals, the questions will be read out and the students will write down their answers. The finals will consist of three rounds:
- Questions on the first additional book
- Questions on second additional book
- Mixed questions on the four first round books
- The Award Ceremony for each age group will follow the completion of the final round held during the 2019 Festival
The winners will be honoured at the 2019 Festival.
The overall first-placed teams in each age group will receive:
- A trophy for each winning school
- A voucher from Magrudy’s Bookshops for AED 2000 for each winning team
The second- and third-placed teams will be honoured at the Festival.2019
Please read the following points carefully:
- Schools wishing to enter students in the Arabic competition should register here, while those entering in English should use the form below.
- Each school can register in English and Arabic, and can enter up to two teams in each language in each age category.
- For examples of Chevron Readers’ Cup questions from previous years, please click here for Secondary and here for Primary.
- The list of books for the Chevron Readers’ Cup 2019 are online here.
- Books are available from Magrudy’s Bookshops around the UAE. Visit their website for store locations
- For further enquiries regarding the Chevron Readers’ Cup, please contact Competitions Manager Rania Issa on 04 355 9844 or email@example.com
Terms and Conditions:
- By entering the competition, entrants agree to observe the terms and conditions of the competition
- Each school can enter up to two teams of four students per language per age group
- Entrants are welcomed from the GCC (UAE, Oman, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait).
- The entrants give permission for the Emirates Literature Foundation and Emirates Airline Festival of Literature to publicise photographic images of the participating students in all stages of the competition in related publicity material and activities. Schools should be aware that they might need to obtain parental consent for this
- Judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into with regard to these decisions
- Please note that participating schools which do not adhere to the said terms and conditions will be disqualified
- Copyright of any material produced remains with Emirates Airline Festival of Literature
This is now closed.