About The Competition
The Story Writing Competition is held annually by the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature for school and university students.
The inspiration for 2020 is Tomorrow.
Congratulations to the winners of the 2019 Story Writing Competition!
Click here to view the winners.
How to Enter
- Write your story – use your imagination and creativity to the full, but do remember that your inspiration is Tomorrow.
- You may choose your own title in keeping with Tomorrow.
- Complete all sections of the online entry, attaching your story as a word document.
- Entries can be in Arabic or in English.
- You should submit under the appropriate age category, which relates to your age on 6 October 2019 . Please note the word limit for each category:
- Ages 11 and under (maximum of 500 words)
- Ages 12-14 (maximum of 1000 words)
- Ages 15-17 (maximum of 1500 words)
- Age 18-25 (maximum of 1500 words)
- Participants must be full-time students in schools, colleges and universities.
- The deadline to submit your story is 6 October 2019 .
You can find some tips on writing a good story here.
Winners will be honoured at a prize-giving event at the 2020 Festival, and all the winning entries will appear in a published book. Each winner will receive:
- A trophy
- Five copies of the book
- The opportunity to attend a Festival session
Terms and Conditions
- Entrants must be in full-time education and resident in the UAE.
- Copyright of material submitted remains with Emirates Airline Festival of Literature.
- Do not submit work as your own when part of or all of it has been done by someone else; this includes material found online. It must be entirely your own work, and any stories found to contain non-original content will be excluded.
- The winning entrants agree to the Emirates Literature Foundation’s and Emirates Airline Festival of Literature’s use of their name and photograph in relation to related publicity material and activities. Schools and students should be aware that they might need to obtain parental consent for this.
- Stories should be submitted in Times New Roman font, size 12 point, 1.5 line spacing.
- Stories should be unpublished and not previously submitted to any competition.
- Stories should be no longer than the word limit (entries exceeding the word limit assigned for each age group will be disqualified).
- Entries must be received on or before the closing date of 6 October 2019.
- Judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into with regard to these decisions.
- In accordance with normal conventions for writing competitions internationally, entries which do not adhere to the said terms and conditions will not be considered.
Please check that you have followed all the terms and conditions before submitting your story.
All participants will receive a certificate of participation upon submitting their stories, and they are welcome to join us at the prize-giving ceremony at the Festival.
Only the winners will be notified in advance by email or telephone, by mid November 2019.