We are looking for an enthusiastic Programming Intern to work alongside the Programming Team in delivering a successful Festival and gain experience of working in a complex international cultural event.
- Updating key Festival documents including Session AV Requirements Spreadsheet, Festival Book Order Spreadsheet and Event Running Orders.
- Updating author info documents and sharing with the wider Festival team.
- Assist with proofing/editing Festival session write-ups and marketing collateral.
- Contributing as needed to programming blog posts on sessions & general interning experience.
- Support with creation and proofing of cue cards for mods to receive in advance.
- Proofing of slides etc. for mistakes, missed updates, etc.
- Supporting with research for 2022 programme if required.
- Assist the programming team in planning and preparing content for the Boundless Book Club Podcast.
- Support the Programming Festival Administrator and Programming team as required.
- Assisting the Green Room team in helping authors and support the Programming team with last-minute changes and ad-hoc tasks.
- Helping to pass on Festival updates to the wider Festival team.
- General runner duties and other ad-hoc requests.
If you are available from the 1st of April, 2021 and want an exciting challenge, then please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
About Festival Internships
Being a part of the Festival team provides a unique opportunity for any determined student to enhance their resume and be a part of a professional arts organisation with particular emphasis on sharing ideas, learning and developing best practice within a dynamic marketing environment. The Festival offers broad hands-on experience and more specific training in event handling, PR and general administration.
The Festival is looking for people with an outgoing personality, can-do attitude with excellent attention to detail and commitment. Proficiency in MS Office is required. Maturity and reliability are a must as candidates will be dealing with VIPs, bestselling authors and our sponsors. An interest in books and culture is an added advantage.
About the Festival
The Emirates Airline Festival of Literature is the Middle East’s largest celebration of the written and spoken word, bringing people of all ages and backgrounds together with authors from across the world to promote education, debate and reading in a celebratory and enjoyable way.
The Festival creates a wonderful opportunity for UAE nationals, residents and visitors to meet world famous authors, attend literary debates, listen to readings, participate in workshops and experience the exciting fringe and children’s events. With simultaneous translation in all sessions, the Festival is a meeting of minds where ideas are shared and friendships are formed – not least among the authors themselves, who whether festival veteran or novice have praised the lively atmosphere and the diverse, intellectually switched-on audiences.
What Interns can Expect
The Festival is a well-integrated, small team that is multi-talented, multi-faceted and adept at multi-tasking. The work environment is fast-paced, challenging, constantly evolving and changing, bringing out the best in everyone. The Festival embraces cultural diversity and provides an open, lively and an inclusive workspace where everyone has a voice and great ideas and good work are recognised and rewarded.
format_quoteAs a newbie in Dubai, the Emirates Lit Fest was a great way to rub shoulders with colleagues and mentors who simply loved books. The fact that I could interact with my favorite authors and bump into world renowned faces, occasionally during the festival, will always be a memorable experience. I was part of the programming department and handled itineraries, author’s travel and accommodation arrangements. This helped me come up to speed with Dubai’s hospitality and travel industry, a crucial sector for the success of any event. Long after the caterers left and the mics were off, the smiling faces of the dedicated and pedantic team will continue to live on in my memory. And, so I have come to realise that like the greatest fairy-tales ever told, this extra ordinary emirates lit fest-tale leaves all the attendees craving for more literature…and they manage to do this every year! And this doesn’t go without saying that I recommend an internship at this ‘nerd heaven’ to anybody who loves books!
format_quoteBeing with the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature, I came to meet the most wonderful and talented group of people, celebrating creativity and driven by the same passion for books. With a calm and dynamic work environment, and a truly gratifying experience, The 2017 Festival helped me grow professionally and shape the goals and ambitions befitting my career.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected]. Please state clearly in the subject line that you are interested in becoming a Festival intern.