The Taaleem Award is a poetry-writing competition for school and university students, held annually by the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature.
The 2018 theme is Memories, celebrating the tenth anniversary of the Festival.
How to Enter:
- Write your poem – use your imagination and creativity to the full, but do remember that the theme is Memories.
- You may choose your own title in keeping with the theme of Memories.
- Entries can be in Arabic or in English.
- The poem should not exceed 32 lines.
- Complete all sections of the online entry, attaching your poem.
- You should submit under the appropriate age category, which relates to your age on 16 November 2017:
- Ages 11 and under
- Ages 12-14
- Ages 15-17
- Age 18-25 (full-time students in schools, colleges and universities)
- The deadline to submit your poem is 16 November 2017
You can find some tips on writing a good poem here.
Winners will be honoured at a prize-giving event at the 2018 Festival, and all the winning entries will appear in a published book. Each winner will receive:
- A trophy
- Five copies of the book
- The opportunity to participate in a Festival session
Terms and Conditions:
- Entrants must be in full-time education and resident in the UAE.
- Copyright of material submitted remains with Emirates Airline Festival of Literature.
- Do not submit work as your own when part of or all of it has been done by someone else; this includes material found online. It must be entirely your own work, and any poems found to contain non-original content will be excluded.
- The winning entrants agree to the Emirates Literature Foundation’s, Emirates Airline Festival of Literature’s and Taaleem’s use of their name and photograph in relation to related publicity material and activities. Schools and students should be aware that they might need to obtain parental consent for this.
- Poems should be submitted in Times New Roman font, size 12 point, 1.5 line spacing.
- Poems should be unpublished and not previously submitted to any competition.
- Poems should be no longer than the word limit (entries exceeding the word limit are disqualified).
- Entries must be received on or before the closing date of 16 November 2017.
- Judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into with regard to these decisions.
- In accordance with normal conventions for international writing competitions, entries which do not adhere to the said terms and conditions will not be considered.
Please check that you have followed all the conditions before submitting your poem.
Only the winners will be notified in advance by email or telephone, by the middle of January 2018.
All participants will receive a certificate of participation upon submitting their story through the website, and are welcome to join us at the prize-giving ceremony at the Festival.
The Award Ceremony will take place during the Festival, on 3 March 2018.