May 17, 2017 –
In one of the singularly imaginative stories from Kanishk Tharoor’s Swimmer Among the Stars, despondent diplomats entertain themselves by playing table tennis in zero gravity―for after rising seas destroy Manhattan, the United Nations moves to an orbiting space hotel. In other tales, a team of anthropologists treks to a remote village to record a language’s last surviving speaker intoning her native tongue; an elephant and his driver cross the ocean to meet the whims of a Moroccan princess; and Genghis Khan’s marauding army steadily approaches an unnamed city’s walls.
More information on the book is available here.
Group details and registration
The group meets from 7:30-9:00pm at the World Trade Club, 33rd Floor of Dubai World Trade Centre Tower; meetings generally fall on a Wednesday. Note that this group is exclusively for adults (18+); for the Children’s Reading Group, click here. If you are not already a member of the FRG, please register by sending an email to email@example.com. If you are an FRG member and wish to attend, please RSVP to this same email address.
This is an English Reading Group. To register for the Arabic one, please click here.
Buying FRG Books
10 copies of the Festival Readiing Group book will be available from Magrudy’s Juemirah at least one month prior to the date the book will be discussed.
Many FRG members now use e-readers and some of the titles will be available in this format.
If you have any questions, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Happy Reading and we look forward to discussing books with you all very soon!
Dates and titles for 2016-17
All sessions are on Wednesdays, 19:30-21:00.
- May 18 – Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave
- July 20 – The Death of an Owl by Paul and Piers Torday
- August 17 – The Kindness of Enemies by Leila Aboulela
- September 21 – Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future by Ashlee Vance
- October 19 – A Boy Made of Blocks by Keith Stuart
- November 16 – The Angels Die by Yasmina Khadra
- December 7 – The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra by Vaseem Khan
- January 11 – Mr Gandy’s Grand Tour by Alan Titchmarsh
- February 22 – The Last Minute by Eleanor Updale; A Cartographer Tries to Map a way to Zion by Kei Miller
- May 17 – Swimmer Among the Stars by Kanishk Tharoor
We plan to cover a range of genres and to read at least one book in translation.
This is our annual opportunity to meet some of the writers whose work we have enjoyed, debated and exchanged views on over the year. 2016′s panel, Victoria Hislop, Anchee Min and Helen Macdonald, shared the inspiration behind their books, the challenges they have faced on their paths to becoming writers and what we can expect from them in the future. We’re already planning for 2017, so watch this space!